Monday, November 12, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie

I didn't realize until I moved up to the Pacific Northwest that sweet potato pie is considered a southern thing.  I thought it was as common as pumpkin pie since my family made it so often.  It was a nice discovery because I know I can always bring one now to gatherings up here and sort of easily "wow" people.

That being said, sweet potato pie is made in almost the exact same way pumpkin pie is and actually tastes almost completely the same too.

Here is the recipe I used, found on pinterest of course:



First of all, I find the process of making home-made crust tedious and frustrating, so until Butter teaches me her ways,  I'll stick to buying the frozen kind from Trader Joe's.  They are delicious, buttery and flaky.  My only gripe with them is that they sometimes come apart in strips as you put them in the pie pan, but fixing it just requires a little smooshing with your fingers.

I rarely follow a recipe exactly, which was true for this sweet potato pie.  My big change was using sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk since that's all we had.  In fact, I had a can of it open in the fridge from the day before when my husband and I needed it for our coffee (we'd run out of half-and-half again).  I ended up using the rest of what was in the can, about three-fourths.  To counter all that extra sugar, I left out half of the brown sugar amount shown in the recipe.

I also didn't put any of the heavy cream in it simply because we didn't have any.


I had a small snafu with the butter.  I'd forgotten to take it out of the freezer, so to thaw it, I put it in the still-hot potatoes.  One walnut-sized chunk was still frozen by the time I went to blend everything, and at one point it flew out at me, slinging goop on my shirt.  My mistake, and not a bad one for someone who is not really a baker.

My second little snafu was that I forgot to use my stand-mixer.  I love my stand-mixer.  My husband just got it for me earlier this year, and it has definitely gotten me baking a lot more than usual.  I'm hoping that when Butter is here for Thanksgiving, she can show me some tricks with it.

The pie turned out great.  I had to cook it an extra 20 minutes, which is normal for our oven.  My kids ate two pieces last night, and today we have three left, which will definitely be gone by the end of the day.


I was listening to pandora's James Taylor station while baking, and this song is the one I sang along with the loudest: Elton John's "Rocket Man."


No comments:

Post a Comment