Sunday, January 6, 2013

Turkey Dinner Soup

For the last two Thanksgivings, I have made the most decadent soup you could imagine with the broth from the turkey carcass.  If you think picking a chicken is fun, well, a turkey just takes it the whole next level.  Throw in a bottle of cabernet savignon, and you've got yourself a party.

For details on how to make home-made broth, read my latest post.

All you do for leftover Thanksgiving dinner soup is basically throw everything in a pot with the broth.  Well, it's slightly more complicated, but not much.

I always saute some onions, celery, and carrots in some olive oil and garlic first.  Then I shred any leftover turkey meat, either white or dark, and add it to the pot, along with the broth I just made.

Here is where the fun part comes in: if you've got any interesting leftover bits form dinner that might be good, throw them in and see how it goes.  This last year, I added the leftover roasted brussels sprouts with all those yummy caramelized bits from the outer edges.

 I also added some udon noodles that had been in our cabinet for probably two years back from when a nephew lived with us.  I had never cooked udon noodles before, but they were so perfect in this soup!  They reminded me of those super-thick spaghetti noodles we ate in Italy (wish I knew the name).  So perfect and comforting.

Last thing, and truly, the key to this soup's greatness: ADD THE GRAVY.  Yes, I was yelling that at you because I don't want you to forget it.  The leftover gravy is what makes this soup special.  Oh gravy.  Oh my sweet gravy.  Dear, dear, turkey gravy, I love you so.

I would marry you if I could, Turkey Gravy, or at least give you long, lingering, wet kisses as we dance to Sade's "Smooth Operator."  I would definitely not shoo your hand away if it creeped too far south, Turkey Gravy.  That's where you'll end up anyway after I eat you.


No comments:

Post a Comment